This checklist is from a presentation on what actually belongs in a PR professional’s job description done while vice president for university relations at Carnegie Mellon University.
Does your job description include:
- Building relationships with external and internal audiences, publics and stakeholders?
- Building partnerships with on-campus colleagues?
- Supporting the goals and objectives of your institution?
- Supporting activities that contribute to the institution’s advancement?
- Developing an in-depth knowledge of the “business” of your institution, its primary audiences, publics and stakeholders and the tools and techniques needed to persuade them to act on the institution’s behalf?
- Participating in the “political” life of the campus, understanding your institution’s power structure and responding accordingly?
- Identifying new opportunities and directions?
- Educating the campus community about public relations and changing perceptions of your work?
- Communicating clearly the strategies, goals and objectives of public relations?
- Evaluating how your activities may affect the behavior of your institution’s key constituencies?
- Demonstrating to campus colleagues the value and impact of your work in helping them reach their target constituencies?
- Establishing public relations and communications priorities and eliminating ineffective or low-impact projects or programs?